Thursday, September 6, 2007

So far at SJSU...

I first attended San Jose State University in the fall of 2005. After being in the comfort of high school for four years, I knew it was going to be big transition. I have to admit Orientation was sort of nerve recking. For instance, the thought of starting college was overwelming because I did not know what to expect. There were many activites, so we were broken down into groups which made it easier to meet new people. I was also accepted into the ASPIRE program here on campus which is located in the student services center. They are basically advisors who help first generation college students with their four year plan. Every summer this organization holds a five day orientation for incomming freshmen. I remember the night before, I was having second thoughts before going because I didnt know anyone who was going to be there. Fortunately, I made friends instantly on the first day. It was easy talking to the people there because a lot of them were in the same situation as I was. After those five days, I had made great friendships with good people.

My freshman year began, going from 5,000 to 30,000 people was definitly a huge difference. Especially trying to get from one place to another without fifty other people walking in front of you was a challenge. Another example would have to be the long lines into the business building, that was ridiculous having a long line (out to the walkway) just to get to class. As the semester went along, I began getting used to the campus, meeting new people, and using the facillities that were offered which my tuition was paying for anyway. A couple months and classes later, my second year began. My second year was a lot better than my freshman year. For instance, i knew what I was doing, I had finally picked my major, and was used to the campus. As a third year junior, I am already ready to graduate. However, I am only half way done. I am hopeing by the end of my San Jose State experience, that I would be able to say in the four years (knock on wood) that I have spent at state that it was memorable.

No comments: